2019 is the Sesquicentenary of St Anne’s Church. The Select Vestry has decided that one of the ways we will mark this significant anniversary will be the renovation and extension of our suite of halls. This work will actually begin in the next few months with Phase One which is the re-roofing of the halls at a cost of £100,000.
Phase Two will provide lift access from the car park to the same level as the church as well as new meeting rooms, youth lounge, storage, toilets and new parish office. We are in the planning phase at the moment and will soon have cost estimates from the quantity surveyor.
The halls have been an incredible blessing and resource for Drumglass Parish since they were built in 1973. We want to continue to have high quality and accessible halls that will stand the test of time as a superb resource for our Church.
Rest assured you will be hearing much, much more about the project.
150th Anniversary Service
Sunday 22nd September was a red letter day for the parish as we celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the consecration of St Anne’s Church. It was wonderful to see such a very large congregation of parishioners, former parishioners and friends as we celebrated with thanksgiving God’s faithfulness over many generations and looked forward with confidence to the future. The praise, led by our organist and combined choirs, with Susan Stewart as conductor, was wonderful! In his sermon, Archbishop Richard Clarke spoke about the great heritage which the parish had enjoyed over the past 150 years, because of the faith that our ancestors had shown in building the Church, at a time when the Church of Ireland was going through great change and times of uncertainty. As the parish is now approaching a time of change as our Rector prepares to leave, the Archbishop encouraged us with the assurance that, as God had been faithful to us in the past, so He would continue to be faithful to us in the future, if we were faithful to Him.
After the service, we continued fellowship over a delicious buffet lunch, provided by Crozier Catering.
The following is an excerpt from the Tyrone Courier dated 24th September 1969:
“This is a momentous day in the history of Drumglass Parish. St Anne’s Church was consecrated on September 24th, 1869 and this evening, parishioners will join in a special Thanksgiving Service at which His Grace, the Lord Primate, The Most Rev. G.O. Simms will preach and dedicate a number of gifts. It must be emphasised that, although the present church is only a hundred years old, the parish’s origin is lost in the mists of antiquity. It was valued at one mark in the taxation of 1302 and this presupposes that the parish was in existence at a much earlier date.”